Thursday, April 26, 2012

International Women's Month Recap

It seems like the only time I can update my blog is when I am forced to rest. Currently, I have a bit of a fever and I have been sleeping all day and evening. Now I am wide awake and can't sleep. With the rain falling down outside, and with Blood+ streaming on Netflix, what perfect time than to spill my guts onto my blog.

March is Women's History Month. Luckily, I live in a state which hosts so many events and March was not only beautifully filled with such events but it was also stressful.

I managed to triple-booked myself again.

But don't get me wrong. It's all blessings and I am nothing but thankful.

I have been involved with Mujeres de Maiz for the past eight years. This year marked their 15th anniversary- their quinceniera! I started getting involved with the group/show as a spoken word artist, way before I was known as a visual artist. This year, since I was spread so thin, I could only be involved as a visual artist. I am so grateful that Erica F., the curator, chose my work to be part of it.


"Water to the Flame"
2009




This year, I was asked to be part of the 1st Annual Bgrrrlz Rhapsody Festival. This was hosted and organized by hip-hop legend, Kuttin' Kandi. This festival was a month-long hip-hop themed show dedicated to Women's Herstory Month.



Kuttin' Kandi asked me to be part of an all women panel called "Womyn in Hip-Hop: Representing, Resisting and Revolutionizing." I don't know how I can express how much it was an honor to be sitting up there with people whose work I have respected for the past 15 years. I admit, I wondered why I sat with reknowned Bgirl, Asia One and Kuttin' Kandi as well as awesome lyricists, Cihautl- Ce and Shelly Quest. 

What was revealed to me is that my role is not just being onstage, but being part of the force behind-the-scenes. As an organizer and as an event producer, I work so that there is space for people to showcase their skills. We often do get looked over and Kuttin Kandi wanted to bring that to light. 

And I am very thankful and grateful to be part of this first of many festivals to come!



No comments: