Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Women in Media: Violence Girl

My friend T co-founded a women's group, Women in Media Network, and she invited me to the mixer. This is where women in TV, radio, internet, the arts, education, activism-would come together and network. Being that I have been in the realm of all six in some degree, it would be inspirational for me to go and meet some women who is paving the way so that other women would be able to thrive in those industries.

(crap.... i forgot my business cards... damn....)

Tonight's guest is a Chicana who paved the way for female musicians in the punk scene of the 70's and 80's, Alicia Bags. She just released a memoir and she will be reading selections from her book, "Violence Girl" and performing a short set.



That was the main reason what made me want to go to this mixer. I missed the book signing at IMIX pop up BookStore and at La Luz de Jesus Gallery so I'm happy to at least catch it this time around and get a signed copy.

(crap.... i need to get cash out of the ATM.)

Check out excerpts and video clips from Alice Bags herself at http://chicaviolenta.blogspot.com/

No comments: