Saturday, May 04, 2013

NKLA Super Pet Adoption Fair at the La Brea Tarpits


May 3-5, 2013
5801 Wilshire Blvd  Los Angeles, CA 90036
Food trucks * Vendors * Special lower adoption fees * over a thousand pets looking for homes


May 3-5, 2013
La Brea Tar Pits
Free Admission
Over 50 shelters and rescues
Open every day at 11 AM
All Shelter adoption fees less than $100

FREE microchips courtesy of Found Animals Foundation
10+ of LA's hottest food trucks onsite
Plus tons of pet-friendly vendors!


In a few hours, I will be volunteering at a huge adoption fair at the La Brea Tar Pits.

Over 80 shelters and rescues will be present, featuring over a THOUSAND available animals looking for their forever homes.

Shelters are reducing their adoption fees to less than $100 and that would include spay/neuter and their shots. NKLA is a movement where we are trying to get LA to be a "no kill" city. 

We do have an overpopulation that we need to address and one of the ways in facing that issues are education and promoting adoption over buying. 


Recently I took in a foster from one of the local rescues. I just went in to look at the adoptables when I saw this one particular pup. He was a small shih tzu and he looked very uninterested in what was happening at the fair. The minute I picked him up he melted in my arms. 



The rescue volunteers asked me if I would like to foster him. He didn't have a foster parent and he would go back to boarding. Well, even though he was saved from the shelters, being boarded would still be the same as it was in the shelter- being crated and not being part of a loving home.


I took him in and with a couple of hours, he felt right at home, even getting along with my other shih tzu, Koki. I felt he had a lot of hair that was just growing every which way so I took him to my dog's groomer who does amazing work. 

This is him before the grooming

and this is him after

I didn't realize how young he was until they took out all of that hair. Also, it turns out that he is a white and grey brindle and looks like he has tiger stripes. As much as I love him fluffy, I felt that he needed a change of pace and cutting off all that hair allows him to be more comfortable.

As the weeks go by, it was a natural decision to go ahead and adopt him, making him a permanent family to my home. 

These guys are instant brothers and I couldn't be any more happier! I am extremly blessed to have such great dogs.

This is why I am now volunteering some of my time and skills to these rescues. I want to do my part in making sure that we do our best as a community to not add to the high population of domestic animals and overflow of shelters. 

and to think, THIS is him on death row right before the rescue came in and saved him.

So happy to have this guy in my life






No comments: