Friday, April 29, 2016

La Bulla : A Lucha Libre Experience


 
 
 
I am super excited to be part of the lucha libre (Mexican masked wrestling) art show that is curated by Los Angeles legend, Man One, for the second year in a row. Here is a sneak peak...
 


 
"Natural Born Fighters" may not be directly about the industry and the rich lucha libre world. It was just something that I have been wanting a paint- the irony of wild animals with lucha libre masks on. How they are magnificent to look at but their real life fight is about survival and they only way to live another day is to make sure they eat and that they dodge each prey's move.
 
Detail of larger work "El Nino"
 
Last year, I did a kid character called "El Nino" and had him wearing a sharp suit with a mask, sitting on a golden throne with two owls sitting beside him. I dedicated that piece to my nephew, who is half Mexican, and his whirlwind energy. When he was about four, I bought him a mask similar to what I painted while visiting Olvera Street. As any young kid would do, he put it on and a new character emerged with him. It was awesome seeing him run around wearing the mask!
 

No comments: