Thursday, September 15, 2022

Waking Sleeping Giants






Earlier in the year, the ladies of Kaleidoscope Kollective asked me if I wanted have a solo show to kick off their art show program. Safety protocols were loosening up but things can change depending on the upsurge of COVID cases. We had a zoom meeting and there was so much uncertainty. Should we have an art show? Should we ask the patrons to come to the store and stay masked? Should we invite other people to vend? What if too many people came? What if not enough people came? How do we keep the staff and patrons safe when they enter the store?

One thing for sure, after two years of isolation and not being able to gather, the presence of community is much needed. After meditating and praying, I decided that I needed the challenge. I needed the action and the movement. I needed to see this show strictly for my well-being and growth. If I made 8 pieces, so be it. If I made 50 pieces, so be it.

As with some artists, I was not creating during the stay-at-home safety protocols. Isolation had me focusing on the essentials- focusing on God, my family and my peace. Looking back, I had periods of deep depression, particularly during the holidays. I tried to hardbody it, passing the time away and making sure the heaviness doesn't settle in. But due to public restrictions, there were little we can do to distract ourselves. There were no festivals, no indoor events, no restaurants, no gyms or classes. It's me and my thoughts.

I did manage to paint a few canvases during isolation and I showed it at my show. 

The show itself was fun, feeling more like a mini reunion as we unsure about gathering, yet excited to catch up with people. It was the same night as the Oscars (same one with the unfortunate event between Wil Smith and Chris Rock) so attendance was lighter than I am used to. I will say this, the people who were there, MEANT to be there and their presence was the medicine I needed.

I will be posting more about the paintings as the days come.



 

 

No comments: