Tuesday, March 05, 2013

2013 Chinatown Firecracker Bike/5k/10k


(All pics by me)

I have participated in the Chinatown Firecracker event for a couple of years but never have I ran the actual race. Melinda and I did the 5k (we were toying with the idea of doing the 10k but I felt like I was coming down with something so I asked her if we just did the 5k) and it was amazing! Now, what makes this run challenging is that it is mostly up hills. Completely doable but one has to practice with elevation before taking on hills.

The registation orientation was pretty simple. We signed up online and we went the day before to pic up our number and our goodie bags. This year's goodie bag was a backpack that was designed by Shepard Fairey's design company. SO AWESOME!




We got there an hour before the race started and found street parking just in time. Started off the morning with early performances and warm up by the Clipper cheerleaders and set off a thousand firecrackers.


The start and finish.

Got my Endomondo app to measure our route.

The medal was a bit small than what we anticipated but it is nicely designed nonetheless.

We finished the day with dim sum with friends who we bumped into at Empress Pavillion.

Overall, it was an amazing time. Next year, I am doing the 10k. I think I have found my yearly ritual. What a wonderful LA event to celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year. I LOVE MY CITY!






No comments: